The purpose of the SNRS/John A. Hartford Foundation Geriatric Research Award is to recognize the contributions of an individual whose established program of research has enhanced the science and practice of geriatric nursing in the Southern region.
The recipient of the award shall be selected in accordance with the established award criteria of evidence of the following:
- Outstanding scholarly contributions to the science of geriatric nursing.
- Publishing record provides evidence of on-going geriatric research program.
- Documented influence of research program on geriatric health care practice and/or research.
- Current membership in the Southern Nursing Research Society for a minimum of one (1) year prior to nomination.
Nomination Procedure: The nomination form must be completed via the link on the SNRS webpage for this award. Nominations for this award must be made by a current SNRS member in the form of a nominations packet. The nominations packet must be submitted electronically per instructions on the SNRS website by the posted deadline (typically October 1st each year). Faxed and incomplete packets will not be accepted. Only the materials specified for the packet will apply to the award review. All information submitted in the nomination packet becomes the property of SNRS and will not be returned.
The Nomination Packet must include the following:
- A letter of nomination (self-nominations accepted) which outlines how the nominee meets the award criteria.
- Two letters of support
- A completed Nomination Form
- A signed statement by the nominee consenting to attend the Annual Conference to receive the award (nominee may be asked to participate in a conference session and/or archive a presentation for SNRS).
- The nominee’s full Curriculum Vitae
- Electronic copies of two published or in-press geriatric nursing articles, with preference for research-focused manuscripts.
Guidelines for Letters
- Limit letters to two (2) pages, single-spaced with a minimum of one-inch margins and 10 point font.
- Nomination materials are to be submitted only by current members of SNRS.
- Summarize the major scholarly contributions of the nominee as outlined in the award criteria.
- Describe the influence of these contributions on the practice of geriatric nursing.
- Describe your interaction with the nominee or the nominee’s work.
Selection Process: The SNRS Awards Committee will review the nomination packets and make recommendations to the SNRS Governing Board for final approval. The recipient will be honored at the SNRS Annual Conference and will receive a $500 award. Nominees must agree to attend the Award Ceremony at the Annual Conference to receive the award. Award recipients are responsible for their own expenses related to attendance at the annual conference.
Please click here to complete the Nomination Form.
Please click here to submit all other nominations materials.
Associated documents: Guidelines/score sheet for reviewers
Past Recipients of the SNRS/John A. Hartford Foundation Geriatric Research Award:
2017 Graham Joseph McDougall, PhD, RN, FAAN, FGSA
2016 Elizabeth Galik, PhD, CRNP
2012 Tracie Culp Harrison, PhD, RN CS, FNP
2011 Teresa J. Kelechi, PhD, GCNS-BC, CWCN
2010 Ruth M. Tappen, EdD, RN, FAAN
2009 Deborah B. Reed, PhD, MSPH, MSN
2008 Gail C. Davis, RN, EdD
2007 Gail C. Davis, RN, EdD and Judith C. Drew, PhD, RN
2006 Elaine J. Amella, Ph.D., APRN, BC, FAANP, FGSA
2005 Patricia C. Clark, PhD, RN FAHA, FAAN
2004 Debra Wallace
2003 Ann L. Horgas
2001 Barbara Raudonis