Application Submission Dates: September 1st of each year
**Recipient(s) will be notified no later than December 1st of each year**
The purpose of the CANS/SNRS Dissertation Research Grant Awards is to support doctoral students in the Southern region enrolled in research-focused programs as they initiate a program of nursing research to advance nursing science and practice. Funds are available for quantitative and qualitative research on any topic relevant to the nursing profession.
The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science/Southern Nursing Research Society Nursing Science Advancement (NSA) Dissertation Grant Award for up to $5000. Applications MUST BE DATED NO LATER THAN September 1st of each year.
Dissertation Award Application Form (please fill out and return via email)
- Current SNRS member (student or regular) when the application is received.
- Currently enrolled in doctoral study at a School or College of Nursing in the southern region.
- Evidence that the proposed study has met the requirements for the dissertation (proposal has been successfully defended) and that it can be supported at the institution/facility proposed.
- Must be a current member (full or student member) of The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (www.nursingscience.org).
Submit an electronic copy of required materials by September 1 with the subject line: SNRS Dissertation Funding Application. Electronic submissions are the only accepted format. A small fee of $25 for students, is now required for submission of your application. Please go to the Online store to pay the application fee and submit your application for the CANS/SNRS Nursing Science Advancement (NSA) Dissertation Grant Award.
Electronic submissions are the only accepted format. Applications must conform to all requirements for format, style, content, length limitations, and required supporting materials. Only applications which conform to specifications and required documents and for which the application fee has been paid will be reviewed.
Format and style
- Title file as Last Name First Initial Year Dissertation Proposal (example: CraneP 2008 Dissertation Proposal).
- All required materials must be submitted as ONE electronic document.
- Use an Arial, Helvetica, Palatino Linotype or Georgia typeface and a font size of 11 points or larger. (A Symbol font may be used to insert Greek letters or special characters; the font size requirement still applies).
- Type density, including characters and spaces, must be no more than 15 characters per inch.
- Type may be no more than six lines per inch.
- Use at least one-half inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right) for all pages, including reference pages and appendices.
- The application may be single-spaced, except as noted below.
- Consecutively number pages throughout the application, beginning with the first page of the project narrative and include reference pages and appendices. Do not use suffixes (e.g., 5a, 5b). Place page numbers in the top right hand corner of each page. Use bold or italics only for headings.
Components of proposal
- Face Sheet; insert at the first page of the electronic file.
- Project narrative (limit to 5 pages for items 2-6; single space narrative with double spacing between paragraphs)
- Abstract (limit to 200 words)
- Specific aims and objectives
- Background and significance
- Research design
- Sampling method/subjects
- Measures/Instruments (if relevant)
- Methods/Data collection procedures
- Plan(s) for data analysis
- Limitations/potential difficulties
- Protection of animal or human subjects
- Appendices (1-6 required)
- References (limit reference list to six pages): Use APA or AMA format.
- 12-Month Time Frame/Schedule of Activities
- Budget Sheet (limit to one page)
- Itemize anticipated expenditures to conduct the project, including supplies and consultants. Indicate whether other funds have been obtained or applied for to support the conduct of the proposed research. Please note: Indirect (facilities and administration) costs are not provided.
- Fiscal Restrictions:
- Funds may not be used for salaries for the investigator/co-investigator, travel, tuition/registration, and construction.
- Capital equipment is limited to a maximum of $250 per item.
- Dissertation adviser letter: Letter with electronic signature included from dissertation chair, verifying current enrollment as a student in a doctoral program, stating that the proposed research meets the requirements for the dissertation, and, if appropriate, that the institutional facilities required for the conduct of the study are available.
- Environment (limit to two pages): A description of the site, setting, and sponsoring agency or institution necessary to conduct the project. Include a letter of support from institution/facility where project will be conducted.
- Biosketch: A biosketch for each investigator or consultant (use SF424 (R&R))
- Research tools, instruments, or interview guides (if relevant)
Review Process and Criteria
Grant Award recipients are selected through a peer review process using the following criteria:
- Significance to Nursing
- Scientific merit
- Appropriateness of methodology given the research question
- Qualifications of the investigator (research team) to conduct study
- Adequacy of human subjects/animal protection
- Appropriate environment, budget, and time frame
A scoring of 100-500 (similar to NIH) will be used to evaluate applications. Lower scores indicate greater likelihood of funding. Notification will be in writing from the SNRS President or Awards committee chair no later than December 1st of the year in which the proposal was submitted.