The purpose of the SNRS Award for Research in Health Disparities is to recognize the contributions of an individual or group conducting and/or promoting research that has significance for improving the health care of minorities and other under-represented groups in the Southern region.
The recipient of the award shall be selected in accordance with the established award criteria of consistent evidence of outstanding scholarly contributions to nursing knowledge in any of these areas:
- Improving access to care.
- Developing interventions that address the unique health care needs of under-served populations.
- Overcoming barriers to care or promoting receptivity of health care delivery systems to the group’s unique health needs.
- Must be a member of SNRS
Nomination Procedure: The nomination form must be completed via the link on the SNRS webpage for this award. The nominations packet must be submitted electronically per instructions on the SNRS website by the posted deadline (typically October 1st each year). Incomplete packets will not be accepted. Only the materials specified for the packet will apply to the award review. All information submitted in the nomination packet becomes the property of SNRS and will not be returned.
The Nomination Packet must include the following and be uploaded as one PDF:
- A letter of nomination (self-nominations accepted) which outlines how the nominee meets the award criteria.
- Two letters of support
- Signed consent statement by nominee to attend the Annual Conference to receive the award.
- The nominee’s full Curriculum Vitae.
- Electronic copies of two published or in-press research articles
Guidelines for Letters:
- Limit letters to two (2) pages, single spaced with a minimum of 1 inch margins and 10 point typeface.
- Summarize the major scholarly contributions of the nominee as outlined in the award criteria.
- Describe the influence of these contributions on the scholarly work or development of others.
- Describe your interaction with the nominee or nominees’ work.
Selection Process: The SNRS Awards Committee will review the nomination packets and make recommendations to the SNRS Governing Board for final approval. Nominees must agree to attend the Award Ceremony at the Annual Conference to receive the award. Award recipients are responsible for their own expenses related to attendance at the annual conference.
Please click here to upload your nomination packet.
Past Recipients of the Research in Health Disparities Award:
Glenna Brewster, PhD, RN, FNP-BC
Jessica Wells, PhD, RN, WhNp-BC, FAAN
Ana Maria Linares, DNS, RN, IBCLC
Nadine Matthie, PhD, RN, CNL
Gayenell S. Magwood, PhD, RN, FAAN
Coretta M. Jenerette, PhD, RN
Jeannette Andrews, PhD, RN, FAAN
Jane Dimmitt Champion, PhD, DNP, RN, FNP, FAANP, FAAN
Sharon A. Brown, PhD, RN, FAAN
Jeanne-Marie R. Stacciarini, PhD, RN
Nelda C. Martinez, PhD, RN
Randy Jones, PhD, RN
Carolyn Jenkins, DrPH, APRN-BCADM, RD
Linda Moneyham DNS, RN, FAAN
Alexandra Garcia, PhD, RN
Susan J. Appel, Ph.D., APRN, BC, CCRN
Drs. Mary Lou Bond, Carolyn Cason and Mary Elaine Jones
Emma “E.J.” Brown
Joyce Newman Giger
Vicki Hines Martin
M. Elizabeth Carnegie