The purpose of the D. Jean Wood Nursing Scholarship Award is to recognize the contributions of a researcher who has enhanced the science and practice of nursing in the Southern region. The award is named in honor of the first SNRS President, D. Jean Wood, whose leadership set the course for the positive growth and development of the Society.
The recipient of the award shall be selected in accordance with the established award criteria of evidence of the following in a submitted research paper:
- Clear statement of the specific aims /problem(s) / research question(s) or hypotheses.
- Significance to nursing
- Background/literature review has been synthesized and substantiates need for the study
- There is agreement of purpose and methodology
- Data analysis procedures are identified and appropriate for the data collected.
- Findings are clearly presented, placed within the context of existing knowledge, and are relevant to nursing knowledge, practice, or education.
- References are current, appropriate, and accurately presented.
- Must be a member of SNRS
Nomination Procedure: The nomination form must be completed via the link below by the posted deadline. Nominations for this award must be made by a current SNRS member in the form of a nominations packet. Incomplete packets will not be accepted. Only the materials specified for the packet will apply to the award review. All information submitted in the nomination packet becomes the property of SNRS and will not be returned.
The Nominations Packet must include in one PDF document:
- Evidence that the nominee will be presenting at the upcoming SNRS Annual Conference: copy of the accepted abstract for a paper/poster presentation (self-nominations are accepted).
- A copy of a published or in-press or in-review manuscript that may or may not be related to the accepted abstract. This manuscript should have no identifying author information, as it will be reviewed by the committee for the eligibility criteria noted above.
- Signed consent to attend the awards ceremony to receive the award at the SNRS Annual Conference.
Selection Process: The SNRS Awards Committee will review the nomination packets and make recommendations to the SNRS Governing Board for final approval. The Award recipient will be announced during the Annual Conference and will receive a plaque. Nominees must agree to attend the Award Ceremony at the Annual Conference to receive the award. Award recipients are responsible for their own expenses related to attendance at the annual conference.
Please click here to upload your nomination packet.
Past Recipients of the D. Jean Wood Nursing Scholarship Award
Elif Isik, PhD, RN
Willie M. Abel, PhD, RN, FAHA
Kyungeh An, PhD
Valerie Lander McCarthy, PhD, RN
Charles A. Downs
Barbara Waag Carlson, PhD, RN
Debra Lyon, PhD, RN, FNP
Jia-Rong Wu, Debra K. Moser, Terry A. Lennie, Marla J. De Jong, Susan K. Frazier, Seongkum Heo, and Misook L. Chung
Karen Meneses, PhD, RN, FAAN, Patrick Mc Nees, Ph D, FAAN, Xiaogang Su, PhD, and Lauren A. Hassey, BSN
Denise Miner-Williams, RN, PhD, Jia-Rong Wu, PhD, RN, Karen Dow Meneses PhD, RN, FAA and Lt. Colonel Karen L. Weis, PhD, RN
Robin Bartlett, Ph.D., RN, Robin Bartlett, Diane Holditch-Davis, Michael Belyea, Carolyn Halpern, Linda Beeber University of North Carolina – Greensboro
Hsueh-Fen S. Kao and Alexa K. Stuifebergen
Mary Lou Sole, Elizabeth Poalillo, Jacqueline Byers, and Jeffrey Ludy
2001 Hae-Ra Han
Diane Holditch-Davis, Margaret S. Miles, Mary F. Dillard, Michael Belyea
Ellen Hahn, Lynne Hall, Ann Peden, Lora Payne, Mary Kay Rayens
Ann Peden, Lynne Hall, Mary Kay Rayens, Lora Payne
Lynne A. Hall, Barbara Sachs, Mary Kay Rayens
Susan A. Williams
Lore K. Wright
Colleen DiIoria, Barbara Faherty, Brigette Manteuffel
Eillen F. Morrison