The purpose of the SNRS Distinguished Researcher Award is to recognize the contribution of an individual whose established program of research has enhanced the science and practice of nursing in the southern region. Winners of the Distinguished Researcher Award will be considered by the Board to represent SNRS at the bi-annual CANS State of the Science Congress.
The recipient of the award shall be selected in accordance with the established award criteria:
- Consistent evidence of outstanding scholarly contributions to nursing knowledge.
- A sustained publishing record and an ongoing program of research.
- Documented contributions of research, and research-related activities within the Southern region.
- Must be a member of SNRS
Nomination Procedure: The nomination form must be completed via the link on the SNRS webpage for this award. Nominations for this award must be made by a current SNRS member in the form of a nominations packet. The nominations packet must be submitted electronically per instructions on the SNRS website by the posted deadline. Only the materials specified for the packet will apply to the award review. All information submitted in the nomination packet becomes the property of SNRS and will not be returned.
The Nomination Packet should include the following, uploaded in one PDF.
- Letter of nomination which outlines how the nominee meets the award criteria.
- Two letters of support
- Brief statement (150 words or less) by the nominee summarizing how program of research has impacted the science and practice of nursing in the Southern region, including a brief account of service involvement with SNRS or other research-related professional organizations.
- Signed consent statement by nominee to attend the Annual Conference to receive the award and deliver a research presentation.
- The nominee’s full Curriculum Vitae
- Electronic copies of two published or in press research articles
Guidelines for Letters
- Limit letters to two (2) pages, single spaced with a minimum of 1 inch margins and 10 point typeface.
- Summarize the major scholarly contributions of the nominee as outlined in the award criteria.
- Describe the influence of these contributions on the scholarly work or development of others.
- Describe your interaction with the nominee or nominees’ work.
Selection Process: The SNRS Awards Committee will review the nomination packets and make recommendations to the SNRS Board for final approval. The recipient will be honored at the SNRS Annual Conference (nominee may be asked to deliver a research presentation and provide consent for it to be archived by SNRS); therefore, the nominee must agree to attend the Annual Conference.
Please click here to upload your nomination packet.
Past Recipients of the Distinguished Researcher Award:
Dr. Debra Lyon, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, FAAN
Marcia Holstad, PhD, FNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN
Donna Hathaway, PhD, RN, FAAN
Lynn Rew, PhD, RN, FAAN
Elizabeth J. Corwin, PhD, RN, FAAN
JoAnne M. Youngblut, PhD, RN, FAAN
Debra K. Moser, DNSc, RN, FAAN
Jean C. McSweeney, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
Sandra B. Dunbar, RN, DSN, FAAN
Barbara Smith, PhD, RN, FAAN
Nancy L. McCain, DNS, RN, FAAN
Richard H. Steeves, Ph.D., RN, FNP, FAAN
Judith McFarlane, RN, DrPH, FAAN
Diane Holditch Davis
D. Jean Wood